Learning from mistakes is huge, and it’s a skill you can learn. Here are some of the ways that highly successful people let go and learn:
1. They try harder. Successful people don’t let wounded pride hold them back. They don’t give up but keep trying until they get it right. Life doesn’t require that we be the best, just that we try our best.
2. They get back up, as many times as it takes. Everybody gets knocked down once in a while, but successful people know it’s failing to get back up that’s truly damaging. As the old saying goes: fall seven times, stand up eight.
3. They are constantly experimenting. What happened yesterday is done. Today is a new day and a new chance to try out new ideas. Successful don’t let past failures keep them from the experimentation that they learn from–even if they know it might mean more failure.
4. They give themselves a break. Sometimes we let failure turn us into our own harshest critic, talking to ourselves in ways we’d never accept from anyone else. Recognize this as a protective mind trick to keep you playing small. Instead, follow the lead of successful people: Be gentle with yourself and move on.
5. They stay focused on the future. Successful people know that the way to have a great future is to create it, one step at a time. They don’t fret about what they’ve messed up or lost–they give their energy to the things they want to gain. They know the future comes only one day at time, so they keep putting one foot in front of the other.